Sunday, November 30: Furnace Mountain
Join us for a post-Thanksgiving hike to shed a few of those holiday feast calories! This hike will go from the Madison Run Fire Road up to the Furnace Mountain lookout and back. The trail offers some great views of the Shenandoah Valley and of the Madison Run valley leading up to Brown's Gap.
Total hiking distance will be around 4 miles, with an elevation change of about 1200 ft. Hiking time should be about 3 hours. The hike is rated moderate, but does include some steep sections, rocky trails, and a stream crossing.
The hike will depart from the lower end of the Madison Run Fire Road at 10:00 AM. To carpool from Harrisonburg, be at the Friendly City Food Coop at 9:15 AM.
Bring lunch, water, suitable hiking gear, and extra warm clothing.
For more information, or to check the hike status, contact Ralph Grove at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540.478.3677.
Other outings programs active in the Shenandoah Group area:.
- The Sierra Club Potomac Region Outings (SCPRO) of the Sierra Club holds outings around the state.
- Check the Sierra Club Virginia Chapter web site for links to other groups in the state and their outings schedules.
Websites with information on hiking trails in Virginia:
- October, 2010: Madison Run / Black Rocks
- June, 2011: Camp Hoover, SNP
- July, 2011: St. Mary's Falls
- November, 2011: Rip-Rap Trail
- February, 2012: Black Rocks
- May, 2012: Confederate Breastworks
- August 2012: Rip-Rap Trail
- October, 2012: Strickler Knob
- March, 2013: Hawksbill Summit
- April, 2013: Shenandoah Mountain / High Knob
- May, 2013: Dark Hollow Falls / Rose River Falls
- June, 2013: Camp Hoover, SNP
- August, 2013: RipRap Trail Hike & Swim
- September, 2013: North River
- September, 2013: Doyle River & Jones Run
- October, 2013: Moorman River & Turk Run
- December, 2013: Black Rocks Furnace Mountain
- February, 2014: Appalachian Trail from Rockfish Gap north
- March 2014: Kennedy Peak (GWNF)
- June 2014: Wildflower Walk to Camp Hoover
- July 2014: RipRap Trail to Calvary Rocks
- August 2014: Bird Watching in Hillandale Park
- September, 2014: Lookout Mountain
- September, 2014: Kennedy Peak
- October, 2014: Turk Mountain and Blue Mountain Brewery
- November, 2014: Dark Hollow & Rose River Falls