Saturday, November 15: Dark Hollow & Rose River Falls
This Dark Hollow - Rose River Loop near Big Meadows passes two of the most scenic waterfalls in the Shenandoah National Park. The hike starts at the Big Meadows Visitor Center, from where we'll hike down to Dark Hollow Falls, along Rose River to Rose River Falls, back up to Fishers Gap Overlook, and then along the Big Meadows horse trail back to the Visitor Center.
Total hiking distance will be around 6 miles, with an elevation change of about 1300 ft. Hiking time should be about 4 hours. The hike is rated moderate to strenuous because of the elevation change and a few steep sections.
The hike will depart from the Big Meadows Visitor's Center at 10:00 AM. To carpool from Harrisonburg, be at the Friendly City Food Coop at 8:45 AM.
Bring lunch, water, suitable hiking gear, and extra warm clothing.
For more information, or to check the hike status, contact Ralph Grove at email@example.com or 540.478.3677.
Other outings programs active in the Shenandoah Group area:.
- The Sierra Club Potomac Region Outings (SCPRO) of the Sierra Club holds outings around the state.
- Check the Sierra Club Virginia Chapter web site for links to other groups in the state and their outings schedules.
Websites with information on hiking trails in Virginia:
- October, 2010: Madison Run / Black Rocks
- June, 2011: Camp Hoover, SNP
- July, 2011: St. Mary's Falls
- November, 2011: Rip-Rap Trail
- February, 2012: Black Rocks
- May, 2012: Confederate Breastworks
- August 2012: Rip-Rap Trail
- October, 2012: Strickler Knob
- March, 2013: Hawksbill Summit
- April, 2013: Shenandoah Mountain / High Knob
- May, 2013: Dark Hollow Falls / Rose River Falls
- June, 2013: Camp Hoover, SNP
- August, 2013: RipRap Trail Hike & Swim
- September, 2013: North River
- September, 2013: Doyle River & Jones Run
- October, 2013: Moorman River & Turk Run
- December, 2013: Black Rocks Furnace Mountain
- February, 2014: Appalachian Trail from Rockfish Gap north
- March 2014: Kennedy Peak (GWNF)
- June 2014: Wildflower Walk to Camp Hoover
- July 2014: RipRap Trail to Calvary Rocks
- August 2014: Bird Watching in Hillandale Park
- September, 2014: Lookout Mountain
- September, 2014: Kennedy Peak
- October, 2014: Turk Mountain and Blue Mountain Brewery