March 2015 General Meeting & ProgramPlease join us on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 7:00 PM at the Jepson Alumni Center - U of R Campus for "Frogs and their Importance" with Brian Munford.
Brian Munford is a well-respected chef around Richmond, but he also has a driving fascination with frogs. He volunteers as a citizen scientist for the North American Amphibian Monitoring Program, which studies and evaluates frog populations. He will also bring a frog specialist from the VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to handle more technical questions.
Location and Day for Membership MeetingsOur meeting place and meeting day remain the same as the last year: Jepson Alumni Center on the University of Richmond Campus, on each SECOND Wednesday!
A few notes about this location:
- Official Jepson Alumni Center written directions and link to map: http://events.richmond.edu/jepson-alumni-center/directions.html
- If you Google "U of R Jepson Alumni Center" you will be sent to a different building and be given incorrect addresses: 101 College Road and 28 Westhampton Way -- these are incorrect! The Jepson Alumni Center's correct street address is 49 Crenshaw Way, Richmond, VA 23221. On GoogleMaps it will show up as Alumni Relations, U of R, near College road. Use Keller Road to enter campus, then take right. Alumni Center will be to your right; there is plenty of well-lit parking to your left, directly across from the Jepson Alumni Center.
- In Google Maps, the building is labeled "Alumni Relations".
FOJG GrantsThe Sierra Club Falls of the James Group periodically awards grants to worthy organizations. Grant applications will be evaluated twice a year: in the Spring (deadline June 1) and in the Fall (deadline December 1). For more information about this process please see our Grant Application Form and our Funding Guidelines.
TreerootsRVAThe VA Chapter of the Sierra Club is forming a team to attend local events with petitions to gather as many signatures as we can in support of these Guidelines. To join us, sign up on Meetup at http://www.meetup.com/TreerootsRVA/. RSVP to the events that you can staff and we will supply you the necessary clipboard, pen and petition. It’s a great way to start conversations with people about carbon pollution and climate disruption.
FOJG HELP WANTED!State Ex Comm. Delegate
Responsibilities: Represent FOJG at State Ex Comm., attend bi-monthly Saturday meeting in Charlottesville.
Qualifications: Active member of FOJG, “in the know”, good communicator, some computer skills.
Responsibilities: Motivator, encourage members to participate in activities, schedule volunteers.
Qualifications: Outgoing and optimistic, strong people skills, clear communicator.
Political Comm. Chair
Responsibilities: Encourage club’s legislative agenda, promote environmentally sensitive candidates.
Qualifications: Keen interest in political activities, good group spokesperson, confident public speaker.
Responsibilities: Reach out to VCU, UR, VUU student green groups for mutual support, efforts and successes.
Qualifications: Young at heart, social media user, good communicator.
Social Comm. Chair
Responsibilities: Generate FUN, organize social activities.
Qualifications: Outgoing and flexible, plays well with others.
Transportation Comm. Chair
Responsibilities: Promote alternative transportation options to carbon fueled vehicles, bike and pedestrian advocate.
Qualifications: Passionate about the issues.
If you're interested please CONTACT one of our co-chairs: Adele MacLean firstname.lastname@example.org or John Zeugner email@example.com
Feb 2015 issue of the FOJG eNewsletter is now availableThe February eNewsletter is packed full of updates, including:
- FoJG Executive Committee Results
- Video tribute to John Zeugner